First, I just want to say THANK YOU to all the warm wishes for a speedy recovery that were sent my way. Missing the first couple days of school was very traumatic for me as I love to spend time getting to know my new students. I am taking things slow and getting better each day. We were very fortunate to have had a student teacher begin her semester with us. Mrs. Susan Brush is our student teacher from Framingham State College. She will remain with us until December vacation. Please help her to feel welcome to Zeh School.
It was wonderful to return to school on Tuesday and get the children used to our schedule and our daily routines. We have had some great conversations at our morning meetings about weekend activities, rules for our classroom, and jobs that we need to have to keep our classroom running smoothly. The students have a strong sense of community and are well spoken at these meetings.
Just for your planning, our Specialist Schedule is as follows:
Monday: Chorus & Phys. Ed. (wear sneakers/rubber soled shoes)
Thursday: Computer Lab & Phys. Ed. (wear sneakers/rubber soled shoes)
Friday: Music (bring recorder)
So here's what we've been up to in Room 5:
- In writing, we are wrapping up our first project, "The Best Part of Me." You will be able to see our published work on our bulletin board if you are able to attend Curriculum Night on September 20th. For our next topic, we will be working on 3-paragraph essays about the legendary Super Monkey. (A Room 5 Favorite!)
- In reading, we are working on a nonfiction unit and learning about 7 structures of nonfiction text using The Cod's Tale.
- In mathematics, we have begun to review and explore place value into the millions place. We will be playing some games using dice and cards this week to help us practice.
- In social studies, we wrapped up hemispheres/continents/oceans. We will have a short quiz this coming week. Our economics unit is already off to a great start. We have been discussing the 3 types of resources (natural, human, and capital) and are working on a poster project with partners. This should also be on display on Curriculum Night.
- For read-aloud, we are reading, The Classroom at the End of the Hall by Douglas Evans. Ask your child about his/her favorite chapter so far.
- Please take care to pack morning snacks for your child that are both healthy and nut-free. We have writing and reading block right after snack, so sugar-laden snacks make it difficult for everyone to concentrate! Fruit, veggies, crackers, water, etc. are great choices!
- There is no school next Thursday, September 13th.
- Curriculum Night for Parents is September 20th. Hope to see you there!
- Box Tops are now up and running. We have an envelope in our classroom for them.
- The Fall Fundraiser is also in progress. Submit orders back to school when complete.
- Scholastic Book Orders will be sent home next week and be due back to school on Friday, September 14th. If ordering from multiple clubs, you can submit one check made out to Scholastic Book Clubs.
- Get ready! Applefest is next weekend!
That's all for now. Please post a comment and let me know if this is a helpful tool for you. As I stated before, I am new to blogging and think it is a neat way to post info and keep everyone updated!
Have a great weekend!